Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Music I Shouldn't Have Forgotten About

So! Naturally I listen to quite a bit of music; in fact, I listen to so much that I can't really keep track of all of it. So, in this post, I'm going to spit out the names of a few great albums that I loved listening to but have (almost) completely blanked out of my memory. (And these are in no particular order)



1. A Weekend In the City - Bloc Party:
Both highly original and extremely catchy. There's not a single bum note on this album, but for some reason it's always overshadowed by their debut album, "Silent Alarm". In fact, do yourself a favor and check both of those albums out!

2. Copperopolis - Grant Lee Buffalo:
Aside from its odd title, Copperopolis succeeds as a lively folk rock album, and it is VERY mid-90s in both tone and recording quality. Kinda sounds like the vanguard of Eddie Vedder's solo work.

3. Places - Brad Mehldau Trio:
For the romantic in all of us. As far as piano centric jazz goes, this album is as stylish as it gets. Enormously deep and emotionally powerful; definitely worth repeated listens.

4. Infinite Arms - Band of Horses:
There is absolutely no excuse for me forgetting about this album. It is a sheer alt-folk masterpiece.

5. Frances the Mute - The Mars Volta:
If you like weird, look no farther than this album. Progressive Latin Metal Alt-Rock concept album with several tracks over 10 minutes long and guitar work from Red Hot Chili Peppers' Jon Frusciante. Yep. I'm serious.





6. Oh, Inverted World - The Shins:
What can I say?! It's just really freaking fun!

7. Life's Rich Pageant - R.E.M.
For some reason, I forget about this band a lot even though they greatly influence 90% of the bands I listen to today. Regardless, this is their best album (If I remember correctly...)

8. Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams:
I forget about this one because all of his albums since have been booooooooooooooooooring as all hell. This one though, however sad, is genius. (And helpful for the broken-hearted among you)

9. Emperor Tomato Ketchup - Stereolab:
 A little indie masterpiece from the mid-90s. Stereolab makes some of the most addictive experiemental music I've ever heard! (That might be a bit of a paradox)

10. Strict Joy - The Swell Season
Pure beauty.

And there you have it! I hope you listen to at least one of these soon, because they definitely are NOT worth forgetting!

No comments:

Post a Comment