Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: "Clockwork Angels" by Rush

What?! 3 posts in 3 days?! Jake, you're burning us out!

Yeah I know, I know. But I wanted to write my review for this album while it was still fresh on my mind. Bear with me!



Rush dominates with their latest release. "Clockwork Angels" gives each musician ample time to showcase their nearly impeccable musical abilities without forcing these sections; they each serve the song at hand quite well. In addition, this album features some of Geddy Lee's finest vocals in years as we find him developing a James LaBrie (of Dream Theater) style of operatic howl. Lyrically, this concept album falls a little short, however. The narrative is muddled (as concept albums often tend to be), and often I felt that they squandered a wonderful melody on a ridiculous lyric. Still, there is meaning to be found here if you're willing to dig. Production-wise, the album is very clean as Nick Raskulinecz polishes the band to a near shimmer (which serves them quite well as it isn't overproduced by any stretch of the imagination). Overall, highest recommendations to this one. 4 out of 5 from me.

Links to Key Tracks:
"BU2B"
"The Wreckers"

No comments:

Post a Comment